Scholarship Fund of the German American Club of Santa Monica
The members of the German American Club of Santa Monica are comprised of German Americans from various regions of Germany, as well as a variety of other national origins, interested in promoting the contributions German Americans have made to the historical development of the United States of America. Support and maintenance of German heritage, tradition, custom, food and the German language are essential and valued by the membership; and to that end this scholarship was created.
The winner of the German American Club of Santa Monica Scholarship will be announced during the Club’s Annual General Membership meeting, which takes place no later than March 31st of each year. Upon graduating from a California High School and enrolling in a U.S. College, University or accredited Trade School, the winner will receive USD 1,000.00 to be used towards the cost of educational expenses.
Requirements for application are as follows:
- Applicants must be enrolled and / or graduate/d from a California High School
- Applicants must enroll, or must be enrolled in a U.S. College, University or accredited Trade School, taking at least a minor, or equivalent in German language
Applicants are to provide an essay on one of three options:
- Germany and its historical impact on the United States
- Social and political relations between Germany and the United States
- Custom(s) originally from Germany that have become part of American contemporary life
Outline and specifications for the essay are:
- Only one entry per applicant is allowed
- All submissions must be written in Microsoft Word, 12 point font (bigger or smaller fonts will not be accepted), with one-inch margins
- Minimum of 750 words, with a two page maximum
Please Note: Submissions become the property of the German American Club of Santa Monica and may be edited for clarity or space consideration, and displayed in printed publications (for example, SMC Bulletin) and on the Club's website at www.germanamericanclubsantamonica.com.
All application essays are due by February 28th of each year, and must be addressed to:
Scholarship Committee of the German American Club of Santa Monica
1843 Lincoln Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Essays will be reviewed and ranked by a committee of three members of the German American Club of Santa Monica. The winner will be announced in the Club’s Bulletin and on the Club’s website at www.germanamericanclubsantamonica.com after March 31st of each year.
German American Club of Santa • 1843 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404 • (310) 450-614